[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

L & C measurements cheaply, how?

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, December 26, 1997 6:14 PM
To: 	tesla list
Subject: 	L & C measurements cheaply, how?

I am curious how most of you are measuring L & C's for homemade tesla
components.  I am looking for an inexpensive way.  At school I had DMMs,
scopes, function generators, FFT analyzers, the works, ... but now that I
have graduated and gone home, and it is painfully obvious that I lack
even the basic tools.  I don't even have a digital voltmeter.  I went
looking through the catalogs I have here, and found only one inexpensive
DMM that has inductance measurements:  the wavetek 27XT.  This unit seems
to be able to handle the ranges necessary for Tesla coil parts, is
anybody using this for measuring homemade components?

I have tried using my cheap rat-shack analog voltmeter and 120VAC 60Hz to
measure my cap & choke values, but the voltmeter impedance is way too
low, and it's highly parasitic.  Plus, it doesn't even zero properly.
Someday, I'll save up for a scope & func. generator, but now I just need
something cheap and convenient.

Thanks,

-Adam

Adam Smith