[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Is this motor synchronous?

From: 	Gary Lau  23-Dec-1997 1018[SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, December 23, 1997 8:29 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Cc: 	lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com
Subject: 	Is this motor synchronous?

I'm attempting to build a synchronous RSG.  I ordered a motor from the H&R
Surplus catalog for $7.50, a Fugi motor, 115VAC, .85A, 1800 RPM.  To
verify that it was a synchronous motor, I attached a 9.5" load disk with
a small bar magnet in the center, and positioned a pickup coil as shown,
connected to a scope sync'ed to LINE.

  pinch
    |                _____________________
    V            N-S WWW                ##
    ============================        ##
    ^             #                     ##
    |             #                     ##
                  #                     ##
            -------------               ##
            |           |               ##Support
            |           |               ##
            |           |               ##
            |           |               ##
            |           |               ##
            |           |               ##
            |           |               ##
            -------------               ##
=============================================Bench

It spun right up to speed, the period of the waveform on the scope was
33.3 msec and was rock-solid in phase.  If I pinch the disk to increase
the torque, the phase shifts slightly, but bounces right back to where it
was when released.  However, if I pinch to apply above some critical
torque, the phase shifts and stays shifted.  Same thing if I briefly
switch off power.  At first I thought that the phase was shifting in some
even sub-multiple of one revolution, but find that I can shift any
arbitrary amount from 0-360 degrees.  I have verified that the
disk/magnet cannot shift relative to the shaft, and cannot believe that
the shaft is shifting relative to the motor rotor.

Is it possible for a motor to be synchronous but at an arbitrary and
variable phase?  Is this motor unsuitable for a sync RSG, or is my
analysis technique flawed?

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA