[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: familiair with rumkorff inductors? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 19:31:04 -0700
From: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: familiair with rumkorff inductors? (fwd)

to: solva

You definitely don't want to use a Ruhmkorff coil to use as the power
source for a small Tesla coil.  The R coil is similar to a larger version
of the Ford model T coil and produces very high voltages without much
current (a few ma or less).  You need current, not voltage to charge your
caps.  Any value between 7 and 15 kV works great which is why most
experimenters use NST's (neon sign transformers) as their power source.  A
common 30 or 60 ma unit rated 12 kV will work just fine.  Matching cap size
would be either .005 MFD for the 30 ma unit or .01 MFD for the 60 ma unit.
Good luck and happy coiling!

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net