[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: wireless transmitter (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 23:29:01 -0800
From: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: wireless transmitter (fwd)

Ed Sonderman wrote:

> I know for a fact that Richard Quick has done this.  If I remember his
> experiment, he used a classic spark gap excited Tesla coil with the secondary
> grounded.  The toroid on top was enlarged to a point where it would not break
> out - no sparks.  This will cause the coil to increase it's RF output and will
> cause interference problems with nearby electronic equipment.  He then used
> another secondary coil, tuned to the same frequency as the operating coil.
> This second coil was placed some distance ( a hundred feet or so if I remember
> correctly) away and the bottom was grounded - to a metal culvert I believe.
> When the coil was powered up, the reciever coil produced sparks about as large
> as the transmitter coil did originally.

This is rather difficult to believe, but not totally impossible. Even with just
one primary and one secondary circuit, if both are sufficiently lossless, the
theory predicts large transfers of energy to the secondary circuit even with
very low coupling coefficient between the two coils (k<0.001). The transfer just
takes more time, what requires longer time constants (L/R) in the coils.
I don't see yet what is the function of the secondary coil at the transmitter
(I will verify). The system could work only with the primary coil as transmitter.

--
Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
mailto:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br