[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Practical use of a tesla coil

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, December 13, 1997 1:26 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Practical use of a tesla coil

On Friday, December 12, 1997 7:31 AM Julian Green
[SMTP:julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk] wrote;

> Ive recently been working with a TV and film lighting company (ARRI)
> and they use tesla coils in the balast units for their high power
> discharge lights.   The tesla coil is used as an ignighter for the lamp
> and generates 4" of spark, no toroid, just heavilly insulated wire.

Could you give some more details about the lamp this coil drives?
I vaguely remember that a product called "earth light" also contained a
small Tesla coil to drive a electrodeless fluorescent tube to yield high
efficiency lighting, these however were designed for residential usage in a
normal light bulb socket.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/