[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question?

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, December 12, 1997 1:27 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Question?

On Tuesday, December 02, 1997 11:33 PM Zuma
[SMTP:mwise-at-ns.sosis-dot-com] wrote;

> I am new two this list. I have built two coils within the last six
> months and had success on them both. The first one I used 15000-at-30ma
> neon, it was a 4.25 inch by 20 inch secondary. I have a flat primary
> with about 13 turns made of .25 inch copper tubing, with .25 inch
> spacing between turns. I have three static gaps with a fan blowing on
> them. I used glass caps, because of their cost. The best spark That I
> could achieve was about 19 inches to ground. Which to me was fairly good
> since as how it was my first coil. But unfortunately I fried my neon,
> I think I opened my gaps to far.

When you say "fried" exactly what do you mean? How does the neon sign
transformer function now; small output, output only on one side, no output
ect. More times than not so called fried neon sign transformers can be
repaired.

> Now I built a 6.25 inch coil and I am only using a 7500-at-30ma neon. I am
> not impressed with its performance at all. I can only get about a six or
> seven inch spark off of it.

Realize your using half the power input you had on your first coil, so
right there you can anticipate poorer performance.

> Any way my question is what is probably the best spark I am going to get
> off of this coil. The only thing I can think of is that my coil maybe to
> short. As I said it is 6.25 inch but I ran out of wire before I was
> through winding it, so it is only 17.75 inches long. I plan on fixing
> that though, as soon as my wire comes in. Any suggestions would be
> a great help.

I have a coil that I built using a 6.5 PVC pipe it was wound to a length of
about 26 inches with #20 wire, the primary was about 10 turns of 1/2 inch
copper tubing spaced 1/2 inch between turns in a flat pancake. Flat plate
polyethylene capacitor, syncronous rotary spark gap and a 20 x 5 inch
toroid and when powered at about 5 Killowatts it gave some nice six to
seven foot discharges. Your output is going to be determined by the amount
of power you put in the coil. BTW the present length of your secondary
isn't really that short! you want to keep the secondary length/width to
between 3 and 4, yours is just short of 3.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/