[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Safety Rant

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Thursday, December 11, 1997 1:43 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re:  Safety Rant

"Most of the machine tools in our shop were locked off by the Tiger Team,
including my favorite little Hardinge lathe, which wore a new sign that
stated  "This machine contains exposed rotating parts -- DO NOT USE".
I always felt that the 'exposed rotating parts' were what made it
so useful!!  Most incidental machining is 'subbed-out' now, at a
considerable expense."

	Hard to believe your horror story, but I sure do!  Someone
mentioned a few weeks ago that people at (NASA Houston?) are required
to wear protective clothing and leather gloves when working with anyh
any circuit involving voltage over 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Instant insanity...
	This safety team would obviously have frowned on electric
fans, knives, forks, etc.....  The nuts are taking over the world
in the interest of "safety", which is a sacred word never to be
challenged, no matter how crazy the ruling.
Ed