[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Weird ideas

From: 	David Sharpe[SMTP:sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com]
Reply To: 	sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com
Sent: 	Sunday, December 07, 1997 9:03 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Weird ideas

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

John, Ed, All

Based on what experiences I have with VTTC's and what I've observed,
since a VTTC is based on a class C oscillator, and is CW (continuous
wave) more or less, the AC to RF conversion process HAS HIGHER
efficiency (Energy in = energy out + losses).

However, a VTTC will NEVER produce spark lengths per unit input power
that a capacitive discharge coil can.  My current push pull hartley
oscillator is running with approx. 2kW input power and with level
shifting approaches 25kW pk power (6.3kV pk X 2A X 2 [push-pull]), yet
the maximum spark length my system will produce is 18-19".  Within 6', I
have 1 kW magnifer (9kVAC, 0.0108uF, Tesla equidrive, 6 point biphase
gap) which will routinely produce 36" and on occasion 42" discharges.
The key is dumping 1/2CV^2 in microseconds at interrupt rates of 240
to 480 IPS real.  The peak power will be as much as 2 orders of
magnitude greater for a capacitive discharge system then a VTTC of
equivalent input powers.  I am observing efficiencies in the 75 to 80%
range (RF tank to AC input power).  What's actually coming out of the
sparks and streamers is anyone's guess, but I can MELT AND GLOBULIZE
28 gauge wire at 1" per second at full power!!!

Regards

DAVE SHARPE, TCBOR