[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Filling caps with oil

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Wednesday, December 03, 1997 1:24 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re:  Filling caps with oil

"in small spaces and generated tiny bubbles (foam). The trapped air seems to
be diminishing and I hope to use the caps soon. How much pumping should I
do? One problem is the terminals through the sides of the PVC pipe leak so I
have to continually pump to keep a vacuum. I haven't figured a way to seal
them although they don't leak oil. By the way 25 in-Hg seems to be the
limit, does that sound about right? I will hall them into work tomorrow to
check the capacitance on our fancy C-meter.'
	Pump until they quit bubbling (or until you get so imparient
impatient that you can't wait any longer).  Might help things somewhat
if you "bump" the case with a rubber mallet while you pump it.  Used
to do that when evacuating accelerometers for oil back fill.  Of course,\
if you happen to wreck the case with the mallet then you are in deep
schmo!  The oil is forced into the (low pressure places) capacitor by
atmospheric pressure when you "turn the vacuum off".
Good luck,
Ed