[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Old Capacitors

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Tuesday, December 02, 1997 4:34 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Old Capacitors

Aha!  I can help here :)
                         A friend in England sent me a couple of
50nF, 25kVDC caps made by Hivolt and they sound like the same type....

They are lossy at coil-type frequencies. In fact, they are
demonstrably lossier than my homerolled dry-fired poly caps.
I believe they were designed for single shot high speed photographic
apps.  They would be excellent for voltage multipliers (-at- mains F),
D.C. filter caps etc. They do last in TC service but I wouldn't run
them up to the ratings and I wouldn't fire them for long either. They
get warm to touch.

Malcolm