[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Plateing?

From: 	Scott Stephens[SMTP:stephens-at-enteract-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, December 01, 1997 12:15 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Toroid Plateing?

At 03:34 AM 11/30/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Just finishing making a small toroid(6"x2") from florist foam covered with
>spackling compound.
>
>Is there a way I can plate this thing at home, or maybe paint it with some
>sort of conductive paint?

get it sticky with glue, dust with graphite or finely powdered carbon,
submerge, dip, rotate, et. in a solution of copper sulfate, sulfuric
(battery) acid and distilled water. Add a little gelitin if it 'tree's. Use
a copper pipe/wire anode, and the cathode is the object to be plated. 5 to
12 VDC, can be pulsating. I IIRC, up to 10A/squr inch (cooled), plates
around .001"/20 minutes. Make sure object is clean.

Do a web surch on electro-forming, electro-typing, electro-plating, et.
Metalworking FAQ has info on it, too.