[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More Research

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Thursday, August 28, 1997 3:19 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	More Research

Hello all,
           I have been considering the results of some experiments
done by list members, some off-the-cuff observations regarding spark
quality and some puzzles posed by one of the scope photos I took. I
think I may be able to further penetrate the mist surronding TCs with
some practical useful design directions and explanations. First I
need some information from a couple of people:

To Julian Green: what was the resonant frequency of the system whose
scope waveforms you showed in ASCII a couple of weeks back? Would it
be at all possible for you to get a storage scope onto it and confirm
observation of the waveform for optimal loading?

To Richard Hull: How far have you taken big toploads - i.e. have you
kept on increasing them _for a particular resonator_ until
sparklength has either topped out or started to go back down? I
realize that increasing toploads invokes other changes which could
include boosting primary Q (tapping in more Lp), increasing primary
energy (upping voltage, cap size or both) etc.

The cogitating I did last night relates to several issues:
(1) those rare long sparks
(2) the role played by available output current in streamer reach
(3) unloading the resonator efficiently
(4) An ideal (maximum) voltage for a given resonator

Thanks,
Malcolm