[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: chokes

From: 	Julian Green[SMTP:julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk]
Sent: 	Friday, August 08, 1997 3:24 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: chokes

I can not say what is best, but I can tell you about the chokes Iv'e built
which seem to do the job.   They are 300 turns of thin copper wire on a length
of 3/4" PVC pipe.   The total length of the winding is about 3".

Their DC resistance is higher than the chokes wound on toroids because they use
a greater length of wire, but this does not matter as the current they pass
is low (100mA).   In my opinion these chokes are better than the toroid type as
the volts per turn is higher on a toroid choke and Iv'e seen arcing between
turns.

I also test my chokes by discharging a fully charged TC cap with the choke.
With the chokes I describe the discharge is a fizz rather than a loud bung.
I assume that these chokes work better as there is no iron code to saturate.

Julian Green