[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Laser Power Supply Co

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Thursday, August 07, 1997 3:57 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- Laser Power Supply Co

[ ... ]

T>4)  2 chokes(?) were in line made from about 25lbs of 8AWG wire each - the
T>only core was a 1/2inch bolt holding them down. One had nice 1/4inch circles
T>of phenolic(sp) - could be used for rotary gaps??

        Phenolic plastic ("Bakelite", et. al.) is  =conductive=  at
        high voltages.  Never (ever) try to use it as a high-voltage
        insulator.  Not even if your own mother tells you to.

        Fact is, phenolic plastic is used in some Van DeGraff gener-
        ator designs  =because=  it is conductive.  It's used as the
        charge take-off lead from the top of the belt to the inside
        of the top sphere.  (That way, it does not begin to conduct
        until the potential on the belt is at a desired high level).

        Try it yourself.  Connect a piece of phenolic plastic in
        series with a variable high-voltage supply and a milliammeter.

[ ... ]

T>Has anyone used this type of transformer before for a TC???  Can anyone get
T>specs on these diodes (they don't cross ref in my books)??

        If I may belabor the obvious  (seems to be my area of expertise
        these days):

        If the numbers don't cross-ref., then obviously they're house
        numbers -- so, Scott C. -- phone home.  More particularly ...

        Why not  =call=  the mfg'r. of the power supply or the laser
        or the diodes and  =ask=  them??

                I've said this before: Coiling is a lot like dating -
                if you're afraid to ask anyone, you likely won't
                get much.

        Fact is, you already know the voltage rating of the diodes
        from the other components and their ratings.  You can discern
        the current-carrying ability from the transformer output or
        by powering the diodes at various levels and seeing what it
        takes to get them warm.

                Again like dating ("...seeing what it takes to get
                them warm.")

                                           Seeing what it takes --
                                           in Detroit, USA

                                           Robert Michaels