[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coiling Waveforms.

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Thursday, August 07, 1997 1:23 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Coiling Waveforms.

Hello John,

Please, please do as Julian has done and get a scope onto it. I cannot
discuss things sensibly if we are talking on two different levels.

>    By seven complete beat envelopes are you referring to the primary circuit
> or  secondary circuit?

Both, both, both!!  The beating occurs *only* in the *coupled* system,
i.e. while the gap is alight. Look up a section in a good radio text
on IF transformers - it is all there. It is a characteristic of
*overcoupled* double tuned circuits.

>Is it votage or current? Is it a dampened wave? What
> does non breakout waveform mean?

No spark. Coil run with insufficient primary energy to allow sparks
to break out from the secondary. In this condition, secondary losses
pale in comparison to the gap. If one could actually quench the gap
at the end of the first pri-sec transfer in this condition, the coil
is in the *least lossy state* it can be. So far, I have been unable
to quench the gap to trap all energy in the secondary if it is not
allowed to emit sparks.

> Is this from an operating Tesla coil?

Yes. I posted everything to the list in the recent past. It is all
there in the archives. See posts on Optimal Quenching, Mini
Coils, How we Should Measure......, etc. theoretical topics but with
measurement thrown in. I just haven't got time to repeat myself.
Sorry. If you want to see some hand drawn waveforms, check out the
Corum's literature. I will have some *real* scope photos sent to
TCBOR in several weeks along with photos of the coil in action.

Malcolm