[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 toroids (fwd)

Subject:  Re: 2 toroids (fwd)
  Date:   Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:42:14 -0600 (MDT)
  From:   "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:   tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

I noticed Richard's comments on multiple toroids and thought I would
drop a
few ideas into the soup.  Some experimenters that are stacking multiple
toroids use a piece of non-conductive PVC pipe to act as spacers.  A
better
way to do it is to use some 1 x 1 inch mesh or rectangular mesh "chicken
wire" rolled up into a cylinder form.  Overlap the ends a few inches and
handwrap together with some bare #16 AWG copper wire --- sort of a hand
stiching process.  The length of the cylinder should be such it spaces
your
toroids edge to edge at about 1.5 times the minor diameter of the larger
toroid.  The cylinder is stood up on the lower toroid --- adjust the
diameter to match the flat inner plate area before stiching it with
copper
wire.  The second toroid is placed atop this cylinder standing on edge
(the
cylinder is resting on the lower toroid).  On edge this chicken wire
metallic spacer will hold even a large toroid with ease.  A few long
bolts
are placed through the two toroids to place a small clamping force on
the
chicken wire spacer.

The great advantage to using this method is that it adds considerable
"extra" capacitance to your system without adding the cost of a third
(expense) toroid in between the two.  A reasonable gain of around 30%
additional capacitance is added due to the large surface area of the
metal
cylinder connecting the two toroids.  Cost is about $5 for the total
capacitance addition.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net