[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

measuring inductance (fwd)

Subject:  measuring inductance (fwd)
  Date:   Wed, 23 Apr 1997 22:28:16 -0600 (MDT)
    To:   tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 06:31:13 -0600
From: Mark Conway <mconway-at-deepthought-dot-netgate.co.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Cc: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject: measuring inductance

Hi Everyone,

At the moment I am building a tube (valve) Tesla coil. Today I decided
measure the inductance of the primary (which is 19 turns of wire on a 4
inch
diameter piece of PVC ). I put a 0.047 microfarad capacitor in parallel
with
the primary and a led across it as well. Putting in my signal generator
caused the led to stay dark except  for at the resonant freq (which was
116
kilohertz giving as roughly expected a primary inductance of 0.57 micro
henrys) when the led brightly lit up.

Instead of putting my signal generator away I tried doing the same
measurement again but this time with the coil, capacitor and led in
series.
Since this is a series LCR circuit I expected the led to remain dark
except
for at the resonant freq when it would be brightly illuminated. However
the
led remained dark at all freqs (even at 116 kilohertz). Anybody out
there
know where I went wrong with my theory - I'm pretty sure all my
connections
were good.

Thanks!

Best Regards,