[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Re: Cascading Transfo

Subject:       RE: Re: Cascading Transfo
       Date:   Mon, 28 Apr 1997 17:32:51 +1200
       From:   "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hello Robert, all,
                   I really must comment on one of the points in the
reply to Fr McGahee.....

<snip>
>                 One of the fallacies in your hypothetical experiment
>                 is the assumption that the secondary of the first
>                 transformer can deliver enough current
>                 to saturate the core of the second transformer.  It
>                 might.  It might not.
>
>                 I wonder if you are maintaining cognizance of the
>                 fact that the high-voltage secondary is a high-impedance
>                 low current source?   My strong sense is that you are
>                 not.

An ideal transformer is a voltage source is it not? Doesn't matter
what it's rated at. If you load it up, you blow fuses.

    Your point on running 500V into a 120V primary is interesting. I
have a beefy transformer producing only 5kV or so on its secondary. I
will try doubling its input voltage (while monitoring primary current
of course) to see whether the core is sufficient. The insulation
easily looks good enough on the secondary side. I had been planning
to elevate the secondary voltage by other means but this would be
much simpler.

Malcolm
<snip>