[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Start up question

Subject:  Start up question
  Date:   Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:32:31 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

When I attempt to fire up my three inch coil, most of the time it won't
fire
for a while after I turn it on.  I slowly turn up the variac and finally
get
to full power and it just sits there - with no gap firing for sometimes
many
seconds, then it will finally take off.  Once it has started, I can
power it
down very low on the variac setting and the gaps are still firing.  Then
can turn it off and back on and get everything to work as I expect from
then
on, with the gaps starting to fire at about 35% of full variac control.

I am using a 12kv 30 ma neon with a Richard Quick cylindrical gap.  Five
gaps
each set at about .028".  I have tried changing transformers, same
thing.  I
added another one in parallel and it had to sit at full power for almost
minute before it started running - then worked properly.

What is happening here?  Is it something to do with the capacitor?  It
is a
rolled poly cap with two layers of .062 poly between each plate for
about
.005 mfd.

Ed Sonderman