[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid question, and Thanks for primary suggestions

Subject: Re: Toroid question, and Thanks for primary suggestions
  Date:   Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:50:48 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

>SNIP
<<  but when I put the toroid on,  and retune
> the coil,  it seems like my output is cut in half at least.
> The toroid is pretty big,  compared to the secondary (at least three
 >times the diameter),  and I'm guessing I just don't have
> enough power to get the toroid charged (I'm using very layman-esque
> terms).  I'm pretty sure it's in tune,  or at least close with
> the toroid on,  so I am now at a loss.  Is my reasoning flawed,  or am I
> close to the mark?

Brendan,

You're absolutely correct, the toroid size has to be matched to the TC
input
power for best results, you didn't mention the current rating of your
neon
trans, or your actual toroid size.  The RATIO of secondary diameter to
toroid
diameter doesn't matter that much, what matters is the ratio of toroid
size
to power input.

>        Also,  can anyone outline how to run two neons together to get
> more voltage (series/parallel,and how can I tell if I'm
> doing it right).  I actually have a few smallish neons (I still haven't
> found that 15k in the trash yet),  and I'm wondering if there is
> anything useful I can do with them

In general, neons of the same exact ratings can be connected in parallel
but
have to be phased correctly.  If they're phased wrong, you'll get no
output,
if phased right, you'll get an output.  Just reverse the input OR output
connections on ONE transformer to correct the phase if it's wrong.

Neons cannot safely be connected in series -- there's just too much of a
voltage breakdown problem that will occur between their primaries and
cores.

> Thanks again,

>         Brendan Haley

Happy neon coiling,