[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Best Primary Coil

Subject:  RE: Best Primary Coil
  Date:   Wed, 23 Apr 97 06:27:44 UT
  From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

that's an amazing set of tests and very interesting results - but it
brings to
mind another primary configuration that I think would potentially act
like
your 15 deg coil but without the slant - it seems from your notes that
the
secondary likes to have the outer turns of the primary closer to it
rather
than farther away (at least that's the conclusion I draw from the
experiments
with spacing).  two possible configurations of fairly flat coils could
do
this.  You describe a 16 turn primary, so what do you think would happen
with
the following 2 configurations??

1. a two layer X8 turn flat pancake coil - start at the outside, spiral
in for
8 turns, then raise up an inch and spiral back out another 8 turns.  I
guess
if I were doing this I'd wind it on either side of an acrylic sheet.
This
would get the turns closer to the secondary without raising them up any.

2. hybrid coil that is flat for say 8 turns and then a helical coil for
the
remainder.

Your data sure suggests that imaginary coil #1 above would be a good
one.

I'd try this but I have a lot of really obvious things to do before I
have an
even moderatly plausible coil to play with (like make a bigger capacitor
and a
better gap)