[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RQ Schematics

Subject:     Re: RQ Schematics
      Date:  Tue, 22 Apr 1997 05:07:40 EDT
      From:  wb8jkr-at-juno-dot-com (Mark S Graalman)
        To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997 00:23:04 -0500 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:

>> >... Oh, what the heck! My own personal favorite is any circuit that
>
>> > has the main spark gap across the transformer.
>>
>> Thomas, this arrangement has always intrigued me when in
>illustrations
>> of the arrangement with the spark gap across the transformer we see
>> the safety gap also across the transformer. What intrigues me is
>that
>> the safety gap will never fire! The operating gap will always be
>> smaller than the safety gap otherwise the 'safety gap' will become
>> the running gap! Consequently in the arrangement with the spark gap
>> across the transformer the safety gap is a waste of time, or one
>> could say there is NO SAFETY in that arrangement.
>>
>> > People who put the capacitor directly across the transformer are
>> > unnecessarily jeapordizing their neons.
>>
>> How!? If you have a safety gap across the transformer and the spark
>> gap is in series with the transformer it will be totally protected
>> UNLIKE the condition of the spark gap and safety gap being
>> across the transformer where the safety gap CAN'T fire! In the
>> arrangement you describe the only function the safety gap would
>serve
>> would be to protect someone from opening up their gap way too far!
>
>Precisely, Alfred! I am in total agreement with about 95% of what you
>say.
>And you don't think that people sometimes open up their main gaps too
>far?
>In the search for ever bigger and nastier sparks, it happens all the
>time.
>Some of the coilers out there can tell you that they have their safety
>gaps
>firing several times a minute.
>
>Your objection about the safety gaps seems to assume that the safety
>gap
>and the main gap are in parallel. 'Taint necessarily so. Many people
>use
>RF
>chokes between the neon and the main gap. Believe me, the voltage that
>develops across such a choke can be enormous. Like very heavy, white
>angry
>sparks about an inch long! Got chokes? try putting a little temporary
>"spark gap" across one of the beasts using some #21 bare wire, and
>watch
>the sparks fly! Watch the metal melt! Stand in awe at the savagery of
>the
>nasty white sparks! (We are assumimg the Tesla coil is operating and
>hurling huge discharges into the ceiling of your garage).
>
>The logical conclusion of your paragraph above is that in the
>arrangement
>where the main spark gap is across the transformer, there is no need
>for
>separate safety gap. OK, let's look at that conclusion as if it were
>correct. You are objecting because with this arrangement we get to
> [...]
  This possible resonant rise will exist in either case, the cap is
still
in parallel with the transformer high side the only exception
between the two is in the case of the gap across the transformer the
primary coil is also in the equation, but the primary inductance is
utterly insignificant in comparison to the inductance of the drive
transformer high side. But, gap across the transformer is the way
to go. The big problem with protection chokes is that the blasted things
ring like "little tesla coils" if they have too many turns and
thus a lot of self-capacitance, this is the big advantage of using
ferrite, lots of "L" small # of turns = no ringing.

                        Mark Graalman