[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Caps: Stacked vs Rolled

Subject:    Re: Caps: Stacked vs Rolled
  Date:     Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:47:23 -0400 (EDT)
  From:     richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:     Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 11:03 AM 4/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Re: Caps: Stacked vs Rolled
>  Date:   Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:51:26 -0400 (EDT)
>  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>snip

 I am convinced that .062 poly should be rated for maximum 9
>kv AC
>in Tesla coil operation.  Three layers of .030 should work well for your
>caps.  The last rolled cap that I made I used two layers of .062.  This
>gets
>quite stiff and is difficult to roll, but should be pretty bullit proof.
>
>Ed Sonderman

Ed,

You are wise to rate the poly of .062 at 9KVAC in Tesla service. This
assumes only a single capacitor.  (series units allow a bit more per
unit
cap.)  I rated it at no better than 10KVAC in single cap units, once
fully
acclimatized to its oil bath and all the air was out.  The figures in
the
data sheets by the manufacturers are all for steady state DC.  I once
charge
one of my 60 mil .018ufd rolled jobs to 50KVDC and it held with only a
huge
hiss from the air connections!

Richard Hull, TCBOR