[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 1st notch tests, continued

Subject:  Re: 1st notch tests, continued
  Date:   Fri, 18 Apr 1997 18:45:46 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

snip

>In a final last test, I removed all the toroids, and ran the system with
>only
>the 4 sharp metal "prongs" (sticking outwards at the top of the sec),
>that I
>use as a toroid holder.
>Without a toroid, the system always quenched easily at the 1st notch, at
>any
>k value up to the max of .19 (?) that I can physically attain, (I did
>not
>check to see if removing the toroids alters the k factor).  Also, slight
>mistuning did not prevent 1st notch quenching.  The spark increased from
>18"
>to 24" as the sec was lowered to the tightest coupling position.  This
>seems
>to imply that smaller toroids result in easier quenching than larger
>ones.
> Some of the other findings above or in previous postings also support
>this
>view.
>
>In today's tests, I really didn't see much or any benefit from the use
>of
>magic k values; changes in quench quality, streamer length, and
>formation of
>one streamer, with changes in k seemed quite linear.
>
>Towards optimal coiling, comments welcomed,
>
>John Freau

John,

Your tests with the toroids of small or zero size allowing easy quench
are
notable in that the larger the toroid, the lower the base impedance of
the
resonator becomes.  This heavy loading demands more energy from a giving
system's tank and thus the spark gets hotter quenching changes (also the
frequency dips).  Quench times can increase and still be excellent under
this scenario providing the coupling remains relatively stable.

Richard Hull, TCBOR