[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Subject: Re: More rotary gap questions...

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 14:33:04 -0600
From: "Phillip M. Jarvis" <jarvisp-at-bee.d93.k12.id.us>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:
>         More rotary gap questions...
>   Date:
>         Sun, 13 Apr 1997 17:41:04 -0400
>   From:
>         "Daryl P. Dacko" <mycrump-at-cris-dot-com>
>     To:
>         Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> I wanted to thank everyone for the info on hot vs. insulated rotors,
> and sources for the laminate ;'}
>
> Now I'm wondering about the rotating electrodes, I've heard mentioned
> brass pins, brass screws with stainless acorn nuts, and some sort of
> threaded holder with tungsten rods.
>
> I'm guessing, from what I've heard, that almost anything will work,
> as long as your system stays in tune.
>
> These 'flaming power arcs' that I've heard so much about would probably
> destroy just about anything in short order, correct ?
>
> I'm thinking about useing the 'brass screw/acorn nut' method, since it
> seems so easy to make/repair/balance...
>
> Does anything in the collective wisdom suggest a better solution ?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Daryl

I just received information from Ross Engineering Corp. (408) 377-4621.
In addition to making static spark gaps at $450 a pop, they make
toroids, spheres and corona nuts for spark gaps. What interested me are
the non melting carbon spheres with tapped holes for screws/bolts. The
sphere diameters range from 1 cm to 30.5cm. The advantage of carbon is
that it does not "pit" or "peak", and handles the heat very well. These
were made specifically for spark gaps, lightening arresters, and other
high current applications in pulse forming networks.
I will be getting a price list - they did quote the 3/4" dia. (1.9cm)
spheres threaded for 1/4-20, 1/4-28 or 10-32 are $40 ea.

The corona nuts are made from aluminum and should be way more cost
effective.

Phil Jarvis