[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Stacked capacitor (fwd)

       Date:
            Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:15:09 +1200
       From:
            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi William,
            What you describe is the first configuration I came up
with as a capacitor design for air operation. Using S shaped
dielectric makes it a pig to roll. Also, you can't eliminate the
border at the edge of the plates as that halves the insulation
thickness at that point.

>   From:
>         "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
>     To:
>         "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> I've been thinking about making a similar capacitor - but it seems to me
> that
> the insulating material can be placed in an "S" pattern between the
> plates so
> that there is no need for a border on two of the sides (let * represent
> the
> insulating dielectric):
>
>                                                           *****
>   --------------------------------------------------- *
>  | *********************************************
>  | *-----------------------------------------------------|
>  | ********************************************   |
>  |---------------------------------------------------*   |
>    ********************************************
> and so on.  I havent tried this yet - but it seems to me that for a flat
> capacitor it should be an improvement.  Further, I've been thinking that
> by
> using copper plates you can solder bussbar to the plates giving them
> superior
> current capacity over an aluminum equivalent.  I haven't quite convinced
> myself that I know how to make a good connection to aluminum short of
> welding
> another piece of aluminum to it.

In the end I used this configuration:

      ***************************
   -----------------------------*

with a stack of plates and rolled it up. They are reliable for
moderate voltages but don't last as the ozone attacks the plastic.
Oil-filled is the only way to go for longevity. Nine times out of ten
they eventually fail at a plate edge where the strongest corona is
formed. The caps are low-inductance but rather lossy.

Malcolm