[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Variac vs. Fan speed control

Subject:
        Variac vs. Fan speed control
  Date:
        Tue, 15 Apr 1997 22:32:00 -0400 (EDT)
  From:
        ADatesman-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

I received some advice recently which didn't work at first try, but I'm
curious what the list wisdom has to offer.  I was shopping for a Variac
(don't know where to find a new one) when I was told to use a fan speed
control instead - it would do the same thing.  The one I bought,
however, I
burned two neons with - when I finally thought to check it, it turns out
that
my dimmer-type switch moves immediately from "OFF" to "120 Volts".  So
it
isn't surprising that I burned out the two Xformers.
   Obviously the switch I bought doesn't control the fan speed by
varying the
voltage input to the fan.  1) How does it work?  2) Is there a variety
of fan
speed control which would work in this application (replacing a
Variac)?  If
so, it would certainly be cheaper and more easily available.  :)  Thanks
for
answers from anybody who's already explored this area.

              Aaron Datesman