[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark Gaps

Subject: Spark Gaps
       Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:56:49 -0800
       From: julian <julian-at-glosilk.demon.co.uk>
         To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

OK, Ive had an 'Ouch!' from Richard Hull and it looks like Im back to
the drawing for a new rotary spark gap design.

But before I do I still have some unanswered questions.

When the spark gap was working and running at full speed (10,000rpm) the
output of the coil was at a maximum.   The pole pig does not kick and
thump as it does at lower speeds.   So the faster the rotor goes the
better the coil runs, if the rotary and caps can take the strain!
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was watching Richard Quicks video the other day and noticed that he
designed a static spark gap that I dont thing is described in the funnet
archive.   It used a vacuum cleaner motor assembly mounted in a wooden
box.  One side was open where he had assembled a series static gap using
6-8 lengths of copper pipe.   The vacuum inside the box forced air
through the series of static gaps.   He demonstraited that the quenching
times were better for this gap than the PVC pipe static gap also
described on the same video.

I intend to build this type of gap and compare with my rotary.

Dr Resonance:  Advice taken, will be running coil outside from now on.

Comments always welcome.

Julian Green.