[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More rotary gap questions... (fwd)

Subject:  Re: More rotary gap questions... (fwd)
  Date:   Fri, 18 Apr 1997 06:39:27 -0400
  From:   "Daryl P. Dacko" <mycrump-at-cris-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 11:07 PM 4/17/97 -0500, you wrote:

>One important consideration is that even like good old DC circuits, AC
>circuits including RF AC circuits still follow some of the basic rules
>for
>DC resistance.  Even though most coilers use copper tubing primarys,
>good
>grade caps, etc. they sometimes forget that the most circuit resistance
>is
>thru the stainless steel or steel electrodes in their sparkgaps.  If you
>budget can afford it, use brass with screw in electrodes --- the result
>will be much higher RF currents that won't be limited by the weakest
>link
>in your series chain --- the RSG materials.  If you are on a budget
>steel
>is OKI, but try to avoid stainless -- very toxic gases are emitted by
>burning stainless steel -- ask any welder who works on stainless steel
>tanks and they will describe the special precautions they are required
>use (OSHA, etc) when welding inside stainless steel pipes or tanks.
>
>DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

Hmm, ok, I haden't heard about toxic fumes from stainless steel, thanks
for the info.

As for the "brass with screw in electrodes", do yo mean brass electrodes
that screw in, or some sort of brass holder that the electrodes screw in
to ?

Sorry for the really clueless questions, but what I don't know about
mechanical design would fill a large book...

Daryl