[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: arc-overs!

Subject:     Re: arc-overs!
       Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:11:33 +1200
       From: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Chuck,
            Relative potentials are all-pervasive here....

<snip>
> What surprises me is that there would even be enough potential 1.5 turns
> into the secondary to cause arcs to
> ground on the primary.  This was a high current arc as well; very
> blue-green because of the copper vapor and
> very thick and bright.

Voltage of inner turn of primary relative to bottom of secondary. The
secondary won't be truly zero relative to ground either because there
is always ground resistance plus earth strap impedance and the RF
current is rather high (which develops considerable potential across
any impedance it flows through).

My two cents,
Malcolm