[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Phasing

Subject:       Re: Phasing
       Date:   Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:19:42 -0700
       From:   Open Minded <bturner-at-apc-dot-net>
         To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Phasing
>   Date:   Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:26:30 -0500
>   From:   RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
>     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> I just found out something new about neon transformers, and I had to
> learn it the hard way. After tearing down a rebuilt 15Kv neon
> transformer because of arcing between the primary, and the core, I tried
> to find a better method of insulating it. I tried poly spacers and
> mineral oil to correct the problem. But when I applied power I got very
> low output. So naturally I thougt it was the way that I was insulating
> the transformer that was the problem. So I had one transformer that I
> had not put in oil, but had the poly spacers between the secondaries.
> Still the transformer barely lit the neon tube. So of course I took the
> spacers out and still no joy!! Now one of these transformers had worked
> the first time I tried it,so I knew it was good. Now I was really
> stumped and began to sweat buckets! So I told myself settle down and
> really take a look at this thing. Each secondary has a bare patch that
> is covered with transparent plastic on the opposite side from the output
> wire on the outside covering. When I put the secondaries back on the
> cores of each transformer both of these patches were on top. When I
> examined the other transformers I also had put the secondaries on their
> cores with both of the patches either on the top, or both on the bottom!
> So I decided to switch one of the secodaries and bang! It lit the neon
> like a xmas tree! After flipping one of the secondaries on each of the
> transformers they all started to work. I guess if I had worked in on the
> assembly line where these suckers are put together I would have known
> better!
>
>                                    Frankensteins Helper
>                                             Max

Max -

 If you want to double the output current at the expense of half the
output voltage, you can arrange those secondaries like you had them
and simply connect the leads together (windings in parallel). The
added advantage is that you now have a secondary that is actually
ground-referenced.

- Brent