[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: K Factor & Mutual Inductance

  Date:
        Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:46:33 +0000
  From:
        "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

----------------------------------------   Big snip

> The Q factor is important because it it should be optimum if the spark
>> gap
>> is to operate properly. Too great a Q factor will interfere with the
>> spark
>> duration. I do not know of anyone who has ever made these tests.
>
>Please elaborate.
>
>>  The true nature of the Q factor can be elusive as I show in the Tesla
>> Coil
>
>Q is the inverse of the dissipation factor of the circuit.
>
>> Notebook.
>> The Q factor is tied to the log decrement by a famous constant
>> ratio (pi). The Q factor is also equal to 1.364 times the number of
>> cycles
>> to reduce to 10% amplitude. It is obvious that this has an effect on the
>> spark gap firing. If this was better understook coilers would have less
>> problems with their spark gaps.
>
>Unfortunately the log decr. formula doesn't apply to circuits
>containing a spark gap (linear decrement). That also applies to the
>secondary when sparks are emitted.
>    An explanation of your last two sentences would be most welcome.
>
>Malcolm
><snip>

 Malcolm -

 Note that the Q factor can be found with several equations including
the
inverse of the dissipation factor if you are refering to the cotan of
the
phase angle.

 You misunderstood my post. Knowing the log decrement you can calculate
the
length of time the secondary will ring down. If the time is too long it
will
interfere with the operation of the spark gap. The log decrement, Q
factor,
spark gap, etc. are all related in the operation of the TC system as I
show
in the Tesla Coil Notebook.

 John Couture