[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 wire secondary

  Date:
        Mon, 14 Apr 1997 05:24:47 -0500 (CDT)
  From:
        Bert Pool <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 11:43 PM 4/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:
>        2 wire secondary
>  Date:
>        Sat, 12 Apr 1997 15:08:28 -0700
>  From:
>        Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>    To:
>        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>I built a secondary coil using 2 wires side by side connected in
>parallel. The wires are both #24 wound on a 4" PVC pipe 12"
>long.  I have another coil wound with 1 wire #24 on a 4" PVC pipe 12"
>long.  I tested the the performance of the 2 coils using
>the same power supply, the same Richard Quick spark gap and the same .01
>uf capacitor.

[big snip shwing comparisons of performance]
>The 2 wire secondary coil output sparks are hotter and longer than the
>coil wound with 1 wire.  2 #24 wires in parallel should
>be about equal to a coil wound with #20 wire.
>

>Gary Weaver     Experement 7927

Excellent experiment and posting Gary!

Now, by winding the two winds side by side, you reduced the effective
number
of turns by 1/2, thus the inductance would have been 1/2.

Try this:

Close wind one wire on your coil form.  Measure dc resistance and
inductance.  Calculate the exact diameter of the coil form + the
diameter of
the wire.  Now, wind a second layer of wire on TOP of the first.  You'll
want to calculate the inductance of the first coil, then calculate the
inductance of this second, slightly larger coil.  Next, unwind a few
turns
off the bottom of the outer coil so that its inductance exactly matches
the
first.  Test performance of _this_ dual coil versus your other dual
coil.
Since it has low resistance and high inductance, it should out perform
your
other good coil.

I just covered my new magnifier dual coil with 0.375 of poly last night,
and
will be ready to test run it in a few days.

Bert Pool
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net