[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Caps: Stacked vs Rolled

       Date:
            Sat, 12 Apr 1997 19:08:15 +0500
       From:
            Jeremy Bair <pwac-at-flinet-dot-com>
         To:
            Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Chris,
>
> Flat plate caps work great and if made properly have very low
> inductance. However, you can save some money by skipping the copper
> plates and using either aluminum flashing or heavy-duty aluminum foil.
> There will be NO measurable performance difference but you'll see a
> sizable cost savings.
>
> Your total dielectric thickness should be at least 90 mils to 120 mils
> (for a 15 KV source). By using LDPE, your cap will stay cool even if you
> ran it continuously. Don't clamp it too hard - the oil needs to
> completely displace any trapped air - mounting the cap so that the
> plates are aligned vertically will help this process. I'd also skip
> using paraffin - make a top out of plexiglas and screw it down using a
> buna-n or neoprene gasket.

Is it REALLY a must to submerse all this in oil? I have made some
experimental caps without oil, and they seem to work well, I think
soaking them in oil will not change the opperation, but prevent presures
from being created between stacks, and maybe to remove the heat better.

Also, what exactly is this mil measurement?

And does anyone here notice that trash bags give a µm measurement? What
is this for? Is it not what I'm thinking?