[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Coil Design

       Date:
            Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:20:37 +1200
       From:
            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Barry,

>   From:
>         Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
>     To:
>         tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> Hi Malcolm, All,
> Interesting article.  I don't understand the sentence:
> "This {mutual inductance} can be reduced or eliminated
> by proper geometry where the loops overlap each other
> such that the net mutual inductance is zero".

A similar thing is done for induction-balance metal detectors. It
simply means the coils are positioned in such a way that coupling
between them is reduced to near zero (there's one for the critical
coupling enthusiasts :)  There was a short article in Electronics
Australia a year or two back which showed the method invented to
eliminate coupling between air-cored coils in early radio sets where
the coils were mounted in a line but at around 40 degrees or so lean
from vertical, all leaning in the same direction.

Malcolm