[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: glass laminate - Bah, Humbug... (fwd)

  Date:
        Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:36:58 -0600 (MDT)
  From:
        List owner <listown-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
    To:
        tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:30:50 -0600
From: Open Minded <bturner-at-nospam.apc-dot-net.pupman-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: glass laminate - Bah, Humbug...

Tesla List wrote:

>             Re: glass laminate - Bah, Humbug...
>        Date:
>             Thu, 03 Apr 1997 09:29:31 -0800
>        From:
>             Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
>          To:
>             Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Subject:
> >         glass laminate - Bah, Humbug...
> >   Date:
> >         Tue, 01 Apr 1997 20:43:53 -0500
> >   From:
> >         "Daryl P. Dacko" <mycrump-at-cris-dot-com>
> >     To:
> >         Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> >
> > I've about given up trying to find a supplier of glass laminate
> > that will sell less than a 4'x8' sheet, or require a morgage on
> > the house for a smaller piece. ;'{
> >
> > I'm thinking about trying a 'hot' rotor design, using a ten inch
> > in diameter, one inch thick aluminum plate, mounted on bearings
> > attached to some one inch thick lexan supports.
> >
> > I'm planning to use some thick walled rubber hose with a plastic
> > rod in the center as an insulated flexable coupling.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience with this type of design ?
> >
> > Does anyone know of suppliers for laminate that are fairly
> > inexpensive ?
> >
> > Does anyone have a cure for "Tesla Fever" ?
> >
> > Daryl
>
> Hi Daryl
>
> Don't know where you are from but try a larger city which supports one
> or two plastics distributors, i.e., Ain Plastics, Cadillac Plastics,
> etc. These guys usually cut plastics for large customers and they
> usually keep the scraps. I use linen filled material and also have one
> rotor made of paper filled material. I check the distributors who are
> located here occasionally just to see if any good stuff is lying around.
>
> Good hunting
> Skip

FWIW, my rotary uses a 7" disk cut from 1/2" Micarta, which is a
fancy name for paper-reinforced phenolic. It's been working fine for
5 years. Maybe not as strong as G-10 or G-11, but MUCH less expensive!

- Brent (bturner-at-apc-dot-net)

--
No spamming or junk e-mail! Check the 'reply-to'
address and follow the directions... Legitimate