[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How clean is clean enough? (fwd)

  Date:
        Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:36:39 -0600 (MDT)
  From:
        List owner <listown-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
    To:
        tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:30:47 -0600
From: Open Minded <bturner-at-nospam.apc-dot-net.pupman-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How clean is clean enough?

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:
>            How clean is clean enough?
>       Date:
>            Wed, 02 Apr 1997 17:36:06 -0800
>       From:
>            Roderick Maxwell <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
>         To:
>            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> I have cleaned my 15kv neon secondaries so well you can see the
> stamped
>   serial numbers on the paper covering. But when you look at the side of
>   the secondaries you can still see tar between the winding layers in
>   places. The question is do you have to remove all of the tar? The only
>   way I believe you could do it would be to soak, and soak ,and
> soak,them
>   in solvent solvent until they came clean.
>
>                                    Frankensteins Helper

Don't over-soak them...you can soften the enamel insulation on the
windings. When I rebuit neons, I just used a stiff brush to scrub
what tar I could out of the windings and didn't worry about it. I
did one 9,000 volt, 30-mA transformer that way, and to the best of
my knowledge, it's still running strong, even though I built the
coil back in 1989! (I sold it in 1992, with LOTS of use on it
already. If you don't over-load the trans, it *should* keep on
chugging away.)

- Brent  (bturner-at-apc-dot-net)