[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Twintastic first light

  Date:
        Sun, 6 Apr 1997 07:52:01 -0500
  From:
        "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Date:          Sat, 05 Apr 1997 18:36:55 -0600
> To:            tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: Twintastic first light
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>         Re: Twintastic first light
>   Date:
>         Sat, 05 Apr 1997 01:08:00 -0500 (EST)
>   From:
>         Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
>     To:
>         tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> Hi R. W. Stephens, All,
> Nice twin coil!  Nice sparks.  Awsome sinusoid spark!!
> How does the streamer connection rate vary with
> pulse frequency?
>
> Barry
>
>  ----------

Barry,

Thank's for the kind words.

You are assuming that,  as a properly equipped Tesla coil experimenter I
would have a rotary break with a variable speed motor.  And you would
be correct!    Low break rates produced acceptable performance,
but higher rates in the 600 BPS range gave me the longest and hottest
connecting discharges for a given kVA power input level, all other
factors being equal.  I don't like to exceed about 600-700 BPS
because this is hard on very expensive capacitors (and even harder on
cheaper ones).

Ed Wingate's twin gives awesome performance at 120 BPS sychronous,
but his system is physically much larger than mine, and can accept
correspondingly  more input power.  After seeing my results with
the little twin I'll wager he's building a variable speed rotary to try
with
his twin right now! : )

rwstephens