[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Aerodynamics

  Date:
        Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:12:56 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 10:25 PM 3/30/97 -0600, you wrote:
>        Re: Aerodynamics
>  Date:
>        Sun, 30 Mar 1997 12:40:13 -0700 (MST)
>  From:
>        Chip Atkinson <chip-at-pupman-dot-com>
>    To:
>        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>Interesting post, but I have a few questions that are no doubt a result
>of
>ignorance.
>
>I understand that the main source of loss in the tank circuit is the
>spark
>gap.  Wouldn't putting in a small tungsten rod in place of larger
>electrodes increase the resistance, and therefore the losses, or are the
>losses non-ohmic (resistive), which consist mainly of heat, light, and
>noise?

The ohmic loses in a 1" length of Tungsten rod  1/8" diameter are just
not
significant compared to those in a 1/2" rod of the same length.  The
other
loses around the circuit of all types cause this differential to pale by
comparison.
R. Hull

>Another idea that comes to mind is to have some radial vanes much like a
>centrifugal fan on the inside of the disk, away from the electrodes.
>The
>purpose would be to provide an outward air flow which would help cool
>the stationary electrodes and quench the spark.  It would also be
>removed
>from the proximity of the moving electrodes and thus reduce the eddying
>around the electrodes themselves. Looking down on the vane and moving
>electrodes we would have something that looks like:
>----  . , where the ---- is the vane, and the . is the electrode.

The effect of the low pressure area trails very close to the rear of the
electrode and is very strong and pronounced.  With a blade or vane at
any
range, the air flow produced by such a vane would probably not remain
strong
enough at range to conteract the negative pressure region hugging the
electrode itself.
R. Hull

>Ah, but enough of the armchair coiling.  It's time to rewire my power
>cabinet....
>
>BTW
>I do have a 12" diameter wheel for my rotary, so the mods wouldn't be
>too
>bad for me though.

You may be quenching good enough already!  Try the vane idea and see.
If no
improvement, then the idea was a bust. R. Hull