[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 100 kva coil

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzTue Sep 24 22:30:04 1996
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:07:09 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 100 kva coil
>
> Richard,
>           You wrote....
>
> > The slightest and most gentle zephyer will decimate a Tesla arc!!!
> > Outdoor coils are always at the mercy of the wind.  Get your nice
> > perfomrer coil and take a large window fan and blow right at the toroid.
> >  I turned a three foot hot arc into an 8" streamer with such an
> > experiment.  Ions are the arc in a coil!!!!!
>
> Have you thought about the using the fan to direct the ions to a
> collection electrode? Seems to me you might get a moderately
> efficient rectifier right there.
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm,
	The dispersion of ions in plasma experiments is a constant
problem in designing Laser systems. The effect which is described
above, is known as ellastic and inellastic collisions. In other
words, its another form of osmosis that disperses discrete energy
units within a given volume of gas.

	If you where confused by what I just stated. Simply put, any
concentration of anything has a tendancy to disperse itself within
certain given bounds. For example, a quantity of mercury will tend
to evenly disperse itself within a deposit of shale. Governed only
slightly by gravity and the permiability of the shale. This same analogy
can also be concluded for the energy concentration at the top of a
Tesla coil. A wind or fan simply disperses the energy over a larger
area. Thus, If you could ionize all of the gas (air) in a garage
(and maintain it), your sparks should not be affected by a simple
kinetic movement of gas within said containment.

	Now my main point. A fan, moving unionized gas, due to
ellastic and inellastic collisions, will disipate the ions that
will be needed for current flow. i.e: No rectifier effect.

Big Red, HV Capacitors. Burn Baby Burn.
D. Gowin