[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

Tesla List wrote:

> >From leyh-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comMon Sep  2 22:10:27 1996
> Date: Mon, 02 Sep 1996 13:51:48 +0000
> From: "G.E. Leyh" <leyh-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Arc length vs pwr
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to compile a list of data points regarding the
> relationship of output arc length to coil input power.  I
> would like to get data on as many different coil systems as
> possible.  If you have made reasonably accurate measurements
> of these parameters on your coil, I would very much appreciate
> your input.  I am trying to come up with a physics model of
> the enigmatic tesla coil arc, and need a varied selection of
> empirical data points to help verify the model.  After compiling
> the data, I will publish the results here.
>
> The most important parameters for this study are:
> Total AC input power (watts)
> Output arc length (inches)
> Gap repetition rate (pulses per second)
>
> Other useful data to include:
> Output frequency (Hz)
> Primary capacitance (uF)
> Primary voltage (V)
> Secondary (or tertiary) inductance (mH)
>
> Thanks in advance, Greg

Greg,

You were so helpful, on the H2 Thyratrons, how could I not help you out
here!  This is for my largest two coil system (now dismantled).  It was
permenantly set up in our lab here in Richmond and continously viewable
and firable from November 1990 to September 1993.

Nemesis:

AC input power 10KW Actual power not VA

Average arc: 135" broad and flaming white like your big guy.
longest recorded Hot arc (photographic) 162"  Lab size limited spark
recording.

Gap 12 point rotary DC motor (variable) with additional 6 series static
gaps in a vacuum quencher/cooler arrangement.
Gap rate variable, but 400-600 bps normal operating.

Coil:   14" pvc fume duct (thin walled) OD X 48" long
	46" long winding of #18 polythermalize enameled wire close wound
	inductance 0.11 henry.
	Freq unloaded 98.4KHZ
	Freq loaded 56khz  all static measured values
	Toroid ~ 60"X13" aluminum
primary:  110 feet of 5/8" copper water pipe.   4 feet in diameter
	twelve turns in inverted very shallow archemedian spiral.
	tapped at 11th turn. (101 uh)
Tank capacitor: .085ufd pulse type 80 KV. NWL manufacturer (custom)
Power transformer:  10KVA pole pig rewound special construction 13,400v
ballast:  approx .19 ohm(cold) 20,000 watt heater system, tappable.
	  6 mh variable inductor tapped at 1.9mh for best operation.