[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primaries

Thanks for the input Bert.

> Good luck on the new coil! A 45 pF topload on top of a 16" diameter coil
> should make for a pretty good sized coil for a 2.3 kW system! Re: gap
> losses - it seems like nature and physics has conspired to limit primary
> Q. The negative resistance characteristic of the gap arc is a fortunate
> phenomenon(!) - think of the losses if it had a positive characteristic!
> Unfortunately, it seems that whatever current primary current levels we
> run, the arc compensates (and limits us) to a primary Q of 10-12.
>
> One way to improve the system efficiency would be to maximize the
> coupling coefficient so that more energy transfers to the secondary
> quicker, reduccing the duration of the gap losses. If we can succeed in
> quenching the gap immediately after the first energy transfer, we've
> should maximize power transfer. With a 2-coil system, this is probably
> "practically" max'ed at k=0.22. If you're able to hit higher "magic" k's
> without breaking down the secondary or flashing to the primary, AND if
> you can quench the gap, you should be able to break 2-coil records.
> Otherwise it looks like a maggie is the only way.

It might very well come to that for record setting. You're absolutely
right IMO about the slightly more desirable characteristic of the
gap too. But I would like to get to 8 feet if I can with a 2-coil
config. If not....   BTW, I am planning on using 10J bang size with a
rep rate around 200+ BPS.

> Good Luck!!

Thank you,
Malcolm