[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Inductor question

To solve the problem of balast for a heavy TC supply, why not get an old
power distribution transformer - a burnt out one from lightening damage.
The power company I got my transformers from would give them away.

Strip the transformer down.  Wind the balast based on the number of
turns/wire thickness of the LV winding.  Hopefully the LV winding is still OK
and this won't be necessary.

Add a single shorted turn to the transformer made from heavy Cu or Al pipe.
If pipe is not available then an old spent shell case with the ends cut off
would do, failing that make the shorted turn from Al sheet.

Operate the transformer with the core open so that the shorted turn can
be removed in order to reduce current.

With the shorted turn removed the current should be the same as an idle
power transformer.

Julian Green