[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging

Tesla List wrote:

> >From richard.quick-at-slug-dot-orgMon Sep  9 22:55:04 1996
> Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 03:20:00 GMT
> From: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org>
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging
>
> > All,
>
> > Would any one else like to try this measurement? Over volt the
> > 110V tap of your pig and plot the current with the HV open. jim
>
> Yeah, I've seen it too.
>
> I have a 7200V-240/120 25KVA single bushing pig. After I
> rewired it (HV and LV sides under the oil) for 14,400, two
> bushing operation the idle current went from barely noticeable to
> around 10-12 amps at 240-260 volts. It hums pretty loudly too,
> and it is not nearly as smooth was before the re-wire.
> Considering that it weighs several hundred pounds I am not too
> worried about the damned thing getting hot, but I figure there
> are a few kilowatts going to heat when the thing is no-load
> idling at 240-260 volts.
>
> The ideal solution for me would be to place two pigs on line:
> LV windings in parallel, HV windings in series. This way I could
> get the voltage without the losses.
>
> Richard Quick
>
> ... If all else fails... Throw another megavolt across it!

Richard,

I agree, one of the best setups I ever used was two single bushing 5 KVA
pigs with the cans tied together and grounded.  The primaries in parallel
and the secondaries were in series.  This is a sweet setup and very easy
to obtain with single bushing pigs predominating 100:1 over the dual
bushing jobs.

A custom wound transformer replaced them and now I am back to the old
system, but using single bushing potential transformers (best of all
worlds.)

Richard Hull, TCBOR