[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 100 kva coil

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Re: 100 kva coil
>
> >From gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.milWed Sep 25 22:05:33 1996
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:53:55 -0500
> From: Dan Gowin <gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 100 kva coil
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzTue Sep 24 22:30:04 1996
> > Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:07:09 +1200
> > From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: 100 kva coil
> >
> > Richard,
> >           You wrote....
> >
> > > The slightest and most gentle zephyer will decimate a Tesla arc!!!
> > > Outdoor coils are always at the mercy of the wind.  Get your nice
> > > perfomrer coil and take a large window fan and blow right at the toroid.
> > >  I turned a three foot hot arc into an 8" streamer with such an
> > > experiment.  Ions are the arc in a coil!!!!!
> >
> > Have you thought about the using the fan to direct the ions to a
> > collection electrode? Seems to me you might get a moderately
> > efficient rectifier right there.
> >
> > Malcolm
>
> Malcolm,
>         The dispersion of ions in plasma experiments is a constant
> problem in designing Laser systems. The effect which is described
> above, is known as ellastic and inellastic collisions. In other
> words, its another form of osmosis that disperses discrete energy
> units within a given volume of gas.
>
>         If you where confused by what I just stated. Simply put, any
> concentration of anything has a tendancy to disperse itself within
> certain given bounds. For example, a quantity of mercury will tend
> to evenly disperse itself within a deposit of shale. Governed only
> slightly by gravity and the permiability of the shale. This same analogy
> can also be concluded for the energy concentration at the top of a
> Tesla coil. A wind or fan simply disperses the energy over a larger
> area. Thus, If you could ionize all of the gas (air) in a garage
> (and maintain it), your sparks should not be affected by a simple
> kinetic movement of gas within said containment.
>
>         Now my main point. A fan, moving unionized gas, due to
> ellastic and inellastic collisions, will disipate the ions that
> will be needed for current flow. i.e: No rectifier effect.
>
> Big Red, HV Capacitors. Burn Baby Burn.
> D. Gowin

All,
	I will need to correct myself. Instead of no rectifier effect
It should be "Very little rectifier effect". Unless the ions are
channelled or controlled in some way, the energy losses will be so
great, not enough ions will be present to carry a current. But, it
should still be possible to charge simple low energy devices. i.e.:
a peice of foil draped over a hook in a glass jar. Richard Hull
apparently has already done this experiment.

D. Gowin