[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Light Bulb Experiment (ala Brent Turner)

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Light Bulb Experiment (ala Brent Turner)
>
> >From bturner-at-apc-dot-netTue Sep 17 22:25:34 1996
> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 02:12:35 -0700
> From: open_minded <bturner-at-apc-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Light Bulb Experiment (ala Brent Turner)
<SNIP>
> > Some other information that may be relevant... the system's 15 KV 120 MA
> > neons and tank cap resonate at about 60 Hz (by design), and I'm using
> > about 170 uF of PFC capacitance. The gaps are a combination of static
> > and vacuum, totaling about 0.54".
> >
> > Any ideas about what is going on??
> >
> > -- Bert --
>
> Bert-
>
> First off, what you are actually doing is using the light bulb as a
> sort of power indicator, ala a hot-wire ammeter or watt-meter. Ironically,
> I have seen a 100-watt bulb work better than a 40-watt bulb due to the
> lowered filament resistance (which lowers as the bulb lights up, BTW). A
> low wattage lamp has a higher filament resistance, hence for a given
> amount of power, will develop more voltage across it.
>
> In the 'me-on-the-coil' trick, bear in mind that we are really, really
> re-tuned for this by adding in 2 additional turns via a moveable clamp)
> Hence, with a 'top-heavy' coil, we are pushing a bit more 'bang' out the
> coil, but at the cost of shorter sparks.
>
> Richard Hull has touched upon this many times. Tune for spark and disapate
> the energy in arc channels. Tune for maximum RF power, and get just that -
> power!
>
> - Brent

Thanks Brent!

I thought tungsten had a very positive temperature coefficient, so that
the resistance went up when the filament got hot. If you retune for the
larger overall loading capacitance, do you still tune for maximum
voltage output at the new setting or for something else??

-- Bert --