[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RF Ground Quality

Quoting pierson-at-msd26.enet.dec-dot-com:
Subject: RF Ground Quality

> There are standard procedures for such, i suspect in an IEEE
> standard, somewhere.  Anyone have acces to a good library?  (I
> don't or i'd summarize.)  Lightning Protection standards would
> be where I'd start....

> My dim recollection is that the usual methods involve, as
> reccomended by others, measuring to temporarily seperated
> multipoint grounds (I believe some ground systems are
> explicitly made serable, to allow for testing) AND/or to put in
> a temporary ground to do the measurements to.

> SOMEwhere I've got some info on that.  I'd have more faith in
> meaurements MADE AT RF (signal gene, low power coil) than with
> a straight DC instrument...  regards  dwp

Agreed. A long time antagonist on FIDO Electronics brought this
very subject to my attention several years ago. It was suggested
then that the place to look was FCC specifications on the RF
grounding of commercial AM transmitter stations. Frequency and
power levels would seem to be in the ballpark (our peak powers
anyway). I was told that while the FCC would laugh at my
grounding methods (apparently the commercial FCC regs are very
specific) I was credited for being on the right track for "bottom
line" end results. After a volley of discussion it was determined
in conference that any commercial AM radio station RF ground
would be perfect for high powered Tesla coils... and that you
could ~probably~ earth a commercial AM radio station to my Tesla
RF ground (it would not meet regulations but it would most likely
work in practice)...

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12