[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 110/220V safety questions and a hamfest find

>From: Steve Roys <sroys-at-umabnet.ab.umd.edu>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: 110/220V safety questions and a hamfest find
>
>I have a pair of 30A contactors that I want to use in my 220V control
>cabinet.  The problem is that the power to the cabinet is going to be
>from a 3-wire 220V outlet (2 hot and a ground), and the relay coils are
>energized by 110V.

Steve,
	Are you sure that it is wired 2 hot and ground, not 2 hot and
neutral? connect a 100W light bulb between 1 hot and the
neutral/ground. Does it light to full brightness? If so, go for it.
I'm not an expert on all wiring practices (or electrical code) in the
USA, but I would bet money on that third wire going to the same place
as the center tap of your power feed from the utilities distribution
transformer.

	jim