[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ground rods

Tesla List wrote:

> > before and abandoned the effort when I realized I would have to
> > dig a hole just to get started. There was no way to stand an 8
> > foot rod up and still have room to swing a hammer on top.

When I was getting ready to install my ground rods, I couldn't seem to
find any volunteers willing to hold the rod steady while I swung a big
hammer,so I went to the local rental yard and rented a medium sized
electric jack hammer. I removed the large chisel tip, and stuck in the
ground rod, and it was easy going for about three feet when I hit solid
rock. So I pulled it out, and leaned it over to about a 20 degree angle
above the ground, and easily drove it to the surface. Then, thinking
about the lawnmower, I dug a hole about a foot deep so I could drive the
top end out of harm's way. Then, after looking at the hole for a few
minutes I decided to drive all eight of the rods into the same hole in a
star pattern which left all the tops close together, and it was easy to
braze a loop of double zero gauge wire to connect all the tops. It may
not be as good as eight wide spaced vertical ground rods, but it was a
lot easier.

Storey Clamp
San Antonio, Texas