[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging Next

HI all,
        I would just like to third what Ed says....

> I want to second some of Jim's comments here.  I had my coil
> working quite well at one point and then decided to shorten all the
> primary interconnects and change the wire to all copper tubing
> except the tap lead.  When I tried to run it again, the gaps would
> not even fire.  By accident, I found the system would run good if I
> removed the resistance that I had been using in parallel with the
> welder - which worked great before, and now would not work at all.
> I am still having problems with this.  The configuration of the AC
> power system feeding the primary definately must be "tuned"
> (probably not the right word here) to the primary.  Richard Quick
> calls this a synergistic tuning of the primary.

I have just found out why some of these things are critically
important. I spent the weekend doing experiments with a disruptive
discharge coil in the the living room! no less, and examined the
effects of charging inductors on system performance. I have a post
on this later.

Malcolm